Read pages 120-end of Hiroshima and answer the following questions:
1. For each character in the book, write a one sentence description of their "fate" at the end of the book.
2. What do you think the "take away" is from this book? What do you think Hersey people to learn or think about after finishing Hiroshima?
3. Is this a worthwhile book to read? Explain your position.
Their Fates
ReplyDelete1. Hatsuyo retired from Suyama Chemical, and started to enjoy herself.
Dr. Terufumi Sasaki dedicated his life to his work, and built facilities in the best interest of his patients.
Father Wilhelm Keinsorge registered himself as a Japanese citizen under the name: Father Makoto Takakura and on November 19, 1977 he died.
Toshiko Sasaki had an adventurous life, she became a nun, Mother Superior of the convent at Misasa, then the superintendent of the women’s dormitory, and last she became qualified as a school teacher. An important part of her life was when she was honored at a dinner to celebrate the twenty-fifth anniversary of her becoming a nun.
Dr. Masakazu Fujii left the gas heater on and was in a coma for four days, then lived life as a vegetable for eleven years. On January 12, 1973 he died.
Reverend Kiyoshi Tanimoto retired and settled down by having a daily routine consisting of getting up every morning at six, and taking an hour’s walk with his dog. And he started losing his memory.
2. Even though the atomic bombing was on purpose by the Americans fault the hibakusha weren’t mad at the Americans.
I think Hersey wants people to learn what actually happened to Japanese people on the day of the bombing, and what they had to endure since then.
3. Yes, not only did I enjoy the book I learned from it as well. I enjoyed the stories that were told, because they were interesting. I learned that an atomic bomb was used to take out almost all of Hiroshima. Every day I had to pick up the book and read it I didn’t feel obligated. I was anticipating getting to know what would happen next. And I will admit I did read ahead sometimes. The book was entertaining and I liked it. But I wouldn’t read it again because the beginning was a little confusing.
Dr. Sasaki built facilities that suits his patients.
ReplyDeleteFather kleinsorge died Nov. 19,77 after changing his name to be friends within the Japanese.
Miss sasaki became a teacher and a nun she had the honor to celebrate the 25th anniversary of being a nun.
Dr fujii slipped into a coma after leaving his gas heater on. He died Jan. 12 1973.
Mr tanimoto started to loose his memory and had to keep a daily routine of his life.
The Americans dropped the atomic bomb careless on Hiroshima. Hersey wanted people to know the effect on the survivors and what they had to struggle to achieve and regain.
This is a very good book to read I have learn how some Americans were so careless and didn't care for the people lives they put in danger.people had to adopt to the destroyed environment the they were left to live in.
1.Hatsuyo retired from the chemical field and finally began to enjoy life.
ReplyDelete2.Dr. Terufumi Sasaki dedicated his life for the better life of his patients.
3.Father Wilhelm Keinsorge registered as japanese citizen and is now known as Father Makoto Takakura and later died nov.19,1977.
4. Toshiko Sasaki life was very much successful but the most inportant was when she was honored at a dinner to celebrate the twenty-fifth anniversary of her becoming a nun.
5.Reverend Kiyoshi Tanimoto settled down and slowely began to loose his memories.
2.I think John Hersey wanted us to see the others point of view who went through the bombing.
3.No, I did not enjoy the book it was very confusing at times I would have rather something more lively.
1.Hatsuyo Nakamura: Retired from Suyama Chemical, and started to enjoy life.
ReplyDeleteDr. Terufumi Saski: His wife firs of cancer, do now he is lonely and is committed to helping others.
Father Kleinsorge: Registered as a Japanese citizen, changed his name to Father Makoto, fell into a coma and on November 19, 1977 he died.
Toshiko Saski: She was honored at a finned to celebrate her twenty-fifth anniversary of being a nun.
Dr. Fujii: Dr. Fujii was found unconscious in a room with a gas heater, on January 12, 1973 he was dead.
Kiyoshi Tanimoto: He retired in 1982, after that he had a daily schedule,and he tarted losing his memory.
2. The take away in this book is that even though the Americans almost took their lives,the people that remain was not mad that they were going to start a war or something.I think he wants to us to know their story, their struggles. Also how theyget things back on track, notletting stop them.
3.Yes, I learned something about the Americans and Japanesse that I didn't know before. At times, the book was confusing, but I was able to figure it out. When reading this book I actually was eager to find out what happened to some of the characters. Overall, the book was okay, but I would not read it again.
Father kleinsorge loved Japan so much that he joined the Japanese culture under the name "Father Makoto Takakura" and on November 19,1977 he took his last breath and died.
ReplyDeleteToshiko Sasaki worked in an orphanage and looked after her younger brother and sister. She decided she would never marry and became a nun, then she got to celebrate the twenty fifth anniversary of being a nun.
Dr.Masakazu Fujii built a new clinic to continue taking care of patients he had lots of money and began to enjoy life doing lots of different things. He performed removing keloids, then later quit to work at his Dad's private clinic.
Kiyoshi Tanimoto got amnesia and had to form a daily routine to keep up with things he needed to stay on track.
Hatsuyo Nakamura started sewing again to support herself and her three kids.She got a job at suyama Chemical and retired at fifty five.
I think after reading Hiroshima, Hersey wants people to learn or think that surviving something big is possible if you have people who work together to help others as well as themselves. Also people who are willing to adapt to new things after the situation.
I did not think the book was interesting, however it is informative and you get to see how people of Hiroshima felt about the bomb. The book wasn't the kind of book I like, I would recommend it to people who are into warlike things. The book was boring and confusing for the most part.
Mrs.Hatsuyo Nakamura now retired goes to annual flower festivals in Hiroshima.
ReplyDeleteDr.Fujii enjoyed himself until he died later in the book.
Dr.Sasaki became rich and made new hospitals for patients.
Father Kleinsorge spent his last years in and out of the hospital then died.
Toshiko Sasaki became a nun then later named Mother Superior of the convent at Misasa celebrating 25 year anniversary of being a nun.
Kiyoshi Tanimoto travels to numerous cities trying to raise money for moral adopotions, world federalists, and for a peace center.
I think the lesson from this book is think about how your actions effects others. In the book the it talked about the innocent people that suffered and died from the atomic bomb. When the U.S dropped the bomb they did not seem to think about the innocent people they would harm.
The book bored me at times but I learned how the atomic bomb effected Hiroshima and it is an important event in history.
Characters Fate:
ReplyDeleteMiss Sasaki- To become a cripple, to become a nun, and to help people die in peace.
Dr. Sasaki- Set up another private clinic, inherits money, near death experience, and living a bitter regretful life.
Mrs. Nakamura- Get into a new homework at Suyama Chemical, Retire, and finish her life.
Dr. Fujii- To build another clinic and house, to have a good time and enjoy his life, to get sick , and die.
Mr. Tanimoto- Build another building , Travel America and get charity for his church, To be on ‘This is your life “ T.V. show, have his memorandum in a magazine , and live his life.
Father Kleinsorge- Constantly being hospitalized, to forgive Mr. Takakura, and be there with him when he died.
Question 2
The take away from this book is that Forgiveness is a good thing. The U. S. set the bomb for a reason. But that won’t happen again because of the outcome. I think Hersey wants us to think about how the things that we do can affect other people’s lives as well as ours.
Question 3
The book is worthwhile reading because it’s better than it looks. I don’t really read these type of books, but I’m glad I did this is very informational I, I learned a lot and I would recommend this to a friend.
1) Hatsuyo Nakamura: After retiring at the age of fifty five she is finally starting to enjoy herself.\
ReplyDeleteDr. Terufumi Sasaki: Became wealthy after dedicating his life to his patients and opening many facilities.
Father Wilhelm Keinsorge: Fell in love with the Japanese culture and got a citizenship under the name “Father Makoto Takakura", he then fell into a coma and died on November 19, 1977.
Toshiko Sasaki: Had a very adventuresome life; she became a nun, a teacher, and the Mother Superior of the convent at Misasa.
Dr. Masakazu Fujii: Built clinics for patients that he had, he then left a gas heater on in his room and ended up in a coma for eleven years until he died.
Reverend Kiyoshi Tanimoto: Traveled all over the US to make money for the programs he had to help “A-Bomb” victims, he then started losing his memory and had to settle down into a daily schedule.
2) The take away of this book is that no matter what people go through or how big that thing is, it is almost always possible to recover as long as you have the right mentality to deal with it. I think that Hersey wanted people to know what the people of Hiroshima went through and that although the US is the country that caused all their sufferings they did not blame us 100% for it, they felt that it was their governments willingness to endanger them that made it happen.
3) In my opinion this is a very worthwhile book to read, it shows not only how serious war and destruction can be; but also how humans can bring themselves through the toughest of ordeals if they really have the will to do so.
Father Wilhelm Keinsorge : registered himself as a Japanese citizen under the name of Father Makoto Takakura and on November 19, 1977 he died.
ReplyDeleteToshiko Saski: She was honored at a finned to celebrate her twenty-fifth anniversary of being a nun.
Dr. Terufumi Sasaki : Built facilities in the best interest of his patients.
Kiyoshi Tanimoto :He had amnesia and had to form a daily routine to keep up with things he needed to stay on track .
Dr.Masakazu Fujii : Built a new clinic to continue taking care of patients he had lots of money and began to enjoy life doing lots of different things
Mrs.Hatsuyo Nakamura : She got a job at suyama Chemical and retired at fifty five .
I think after reading this book Hersey wants people to realize that Americans aren’t the only ones that’s going that struggle. He also want people to know that if something bad happened that you can get through it no matter how hard it seems .
In my opinion I do think this is a worthwhile book to read you just have to be patient in the beginning of the book because it can be boring in the beginning. Other than that I really learned a lot from the book about how people lived during and after the bomb took place .
1) Sasaki-san - Her fate was to become a nun and help her country as much as she could.
ReplyDeleteDr. Masakaszu Fujii- His fate in life was to make people happy when they were sad, even though he wasn't happy about himself.
Kiyoshi Tanimoto- His fate was to spread the word about the bombing in Hiroshima and make peace with America even though they were the cause for many people's deaths.
2) The idea that I took away from this story was that even though people may do mean or evil things to others, try not to be resentful towards them and make peace with them.
3) Even though this book was boring at moments it is a worth while book, many people do not know about this part of history, so it was good to learn something new.
The fate of the Characters:
ReplyDeleteMrs.Nakaruma was destined to go through some battles but only to realize that everythig in the end would be alright where her childrern became successful and she began to live comfortablly and helpin others arond her and becomes a very compassionate - helpful person adopting the name of Aunite.
Dr.Sasaki fate is to experience some ups and sowns in his life even after the bombing only making him more humble and sympathetic but his purpose is alwasy to help people and there aillnesses despite his own weaknesses or heartache.
Father Kleinsorge fate was to subject his life and kindness to the helpless despite his own life threatning illnesses and did all he could do for people untill his health prevented him from doing so.
Ms.Sasaki fate was to become handicapped but this would not stop her from her purpose which was to become a spiritual servant helping people pass in peace.
Dr Fuji fate was to live life to the fullest and die like every body else.
Mr.Tanimoto fate was to be a good parishioner being humble to people prolems and he had developed amniesa had had to incorporate a daily schedule or trck in his life to keep on point.
Question 2.
The take away from this boo is to infrm peopleof resilience because in ths book many people had sufferd and diedand lost any thigs but through it all they had the right spiri and mindset and knew hey had to keep fighting to live not just for themselves but for the good of there country because they are not refugees or victims but Heroes of Hope and Faith.
Question 3.
Yes this book is good to read or recommend for those who love history and militaristc wars through history because tyou learn alot not jus from the political or militarist side but from the people side to which sometimes is rare.
Dr. Sasaki built more and more hospitals and became wealthy.
ReplyDeleteDr. Fujii was more of the type to live life for the moment so that there isn't any regrets when he dies.
Mrs. Nakamura withstanded a lot of obstacles in her life, also as far as with her children but overcame it and enjoyed life.
Mr. Tanimoto was a good parishioner; traveled to over 200 cities in 8 months to raise money for a peace center,
moral adopotions, and world federalists.
Father Kleinsorge did the most for everyone else and little for himself and resulted in a passing away.
I think Hershey wants us Americans to be grateful that we have a orderly government and safe society. Us Americans shall not thrash each other day in and day out because there could be a whole nation bashing upon us as a whole and we could lose everyone that we care for.
This is a very fine book to read, especially those who love history. This is a Japan classic!