Monday, July 23, 2012

Essay #7 Post due FRI., JULY 27 at 11:59 PM



Questions for Discussion
Directions: Make sure you're using school-appropriate language, grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Be lively-- make the conversation interesting!

1. Explain what Israel wants the IOC (International Olympic Committee) to do at this summer’s Olympics. Do you agree with the IOC’s decision? Why or why not? What should be done, if anything?

2. Respond to at least one other comment from one of your classmates. Agree or disagree with them respectfully and explain your rationale.

27 comments:

  1. Israel wants the International Olympics Committee to have a minute of silence for the people who were murdered. I do not agree with the IOC's decision to not have a moment of silence. I do not agree with their decision because this event has a big part in history and people all over the world should know about what happened to the olympians. There should be a moment of silence at the Olympics this year in memory of those that were killed. This would help show to the family that every one in the world shows remorse for there loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Rhian you made very important statements.

      Delete
    2. i agree with what you said rhian because its what i was saying in my entry i just didn't elaborate

      Delete
    3. i agree, its close to what i was saying also and its the truth.

      Delete
    4. I agree with you Rhian, you made important statements similar to mine.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you there should be a moment of silence for not only the victims but for their families. The ioc is trying to act like it never happen but it did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Israel's deputy foreign minister on behalf of the widows of the victims in Munich 1972 wants a moment of silence at the 2012 summer London Olympics. They want the international Olympic committee to let the people remember that that event did happen and to honor the victims on the 40th anniversary. No I do not agree with the ioc decision to denied the request. They like to preach that "... to building a peaceful and better world by educating young people through sport practice without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit." As Rogge stated glen are you going to educate young people when Tokyo are not letting them hear/see history. I also do not agree on how they say it's going to hurt the games when really it will unite everyone through a tragedy no matter what country they live in. The ioc should have a speaker report what happen that day the have a moment to pay respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with u because the IOC was rude for not being considerate of others feelings. Those people where apart of someone's family.

      Delete
    2. I agree with both of you, Ryam, I like when you said it will unite everyone through a tragdey no matter what country they lives in.

      Delete
  4. Israeli wants the IOC to have a moment of silence at this summer's London olympics for the people who have been murdered. I do not agree with the IOC's decision because they should show respect to the people who died. Those people did not deserve to die the way they did, therefore they should be granted a moment of silence to know they are gone but not forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree because everyone don't get the opportunity to a moment of silence at a Olympics game so why not honor the victims who were at the wrong place at the wrong time.

      Delete
    2. The ICU just doesn't want for that moment of silence to take up valuable tv time that is scheduled out for the Olympics. That is a very selfish thing for them not to do.

      Delete
  5. The Israel wanted the IOC to give a moment of silence to the Munich victims and their families at this summers Olympics. Giving the families a moment of silence is a good thing because it shows people do understand the lasting pain that is brought upon by the lost. I don't agree with IOC because if the IOC just used a little common sense they would realize that its not like the victims families are asking for money like the terrorist did, they just want a tribute to the lost of family members. Like they say "why not at a tribute to the victims at the Olympics games their selves? If the munich tragedy as Rigged writes, spurred the Olympics movement to build "a peaceful and better world" shouldn't that crucial movement be remembered?" At least the minute of the 24-hour day can be handed overdrafts to the families of the victims to show reverence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Israel wanted the IOC to give a moment of silence to the Munich victims and their families at this summers Olympics. Giving the families a moment of silence is a good thing because it shows people do understand the lasting pain that is brought upon by the lost. I don't agree with IOC because if the IOC just used a little common sense they would realize that its not like the victims families are asking for money like the terrorist did, they just want a tribute to the lost of family members. Like they say "why not at a tribute to the victims at the Olympics games their selves? If the munich tragedy as Rigged writes, spurred the Olympics movement to build "a peaceful and better world" shouldn't that crucial movement be remembered?" At least the minute of the 24-hour day can be handed overdrafts to the families of the victims to show reverence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Israeli Government wants the International Olympic Committee to call for a minute of silence at the London Olympics. I do not agree with the decision that the IOC had made, the Israeli Government asked for one simple thing, one minute of silence for the people who was murdered in 1972. The thing that should be done, is they should let them have that minute of silence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Israel wants the International Olympic Committee to call for a minute of silence at this summer’s London Olympics, to pay tribute to the victims and their families of the Munich Olympics tragedy. I do and I disagree. I agree they should because they’re not asking for a lot, just a moment of silence, not a memorial service. And if IOC’s president Jacques Rogge strongly sympathizes then why not. But on the other hand I disagree because if something similar to that happened to another country or place and Israel was IOC would they unbiasely allow a moment of silence to the victims and their families. Well, nothing since the victims are honored on a regular basis by the IOC and the Olympic movement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. Let it would have been in other country or city they would have talk about it but not really do nothing to let people the feel and care for the attack that happen. Atfer a few years they going to stop talking about the attack and their would be no anniversary for the event.

      Delete
  9. Israel wants the IOC to have a moment of silence at this summer’s Olympics for the killing in 1972. IOC refuses and I disagree with their decision because why not? What is one minute of silence going to do to hurt their game? I feel as though they should re-consider and do it because it’s all out of respect, those people are a part of history. They should think about it as if it were their loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree with you Nesha because i feel the same way what if it was there family memebers and they couldn;t get one moment of silence .

      Delete
  10. Israel wants the International Olympic Committe to hold a monent of silence for the viticms and their families of the Sept. 5, 1972 terrorists attack 40th anniversay. I dont agree with Israeli choice to hold a monent of silence. At every event for a sport there is always a monent of silence. They should do more give their families 30 minute or more to explain how they feel, give the Olympic committee a chance to over look what happen and let everyone (the public) at chance to really educate themselve on this terrories attack. The TV tense 20 hour stand off really did not give the public real clear information, they just got the basics. If they truely want to show respect to the people and their families let everyone into what really happen on the day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Israel wants the IOC to remember September 5,1972 when the Palestinaian terrorists broke into the Olympic village, and killed two Israelis and nine others were held hostage. I understand where the Irael is coming from because they dont want people to forget about the ones who died from that tragic day and I do not think they are asking for alot from the IOC. In my opinion the IOC should reconsider there choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Quitia the IOC should at least recognize the ones who lives where taken selfishly for an unjust cause. At least the moment of silence could bring some peace to the issue.

      Delete
  12. Israel simply just wants the IOC to acknowledge the terrible events that had happend on September 5,1972 almost 40 years ago, by having a simple moment of silence for the bereft family of those victims who where murderd, to try to bring some at ease or peace with not only the family of the murderd victims but for the nation of Israel.What the IOC doesn't realize is that from rejecting the request of moment of silence there not just rejecting a moment of silence but when you look at it deeply you realize that IOC is rejecting the fact of that jews where murderd members and country men and women of the islamic nation where murderd by the acts of terroism of extremest of Palestinian who delbritly did these acts for an un just cause. The IOC is just sweeping what had happen almost 40 years ago under the rug as if it never happend when you cant jut hide something like this because when it did happen this horrific event shook the world and had involved many countries that had responded to the issue to try to fix and resolve the matter, but as we see today the matter has not been resolved yet to this day. Finally no I dont agree with the IOC, they should at least have a moment of silence for the observance of the loved ones of the families who where killed out of respect not for show or politics but respect for that was some ones uncle father husband brother cousin etc and maybe try to have some compasion and just say what if that was my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree even if it is not your family it is somebody's family. They should allow this to show respect

      Delete
  13. The International Olympic Committee should allow the moment of silence for the 1972 tragedy to show our respect. It is before the game and not effecting the olympics in any harmful way. Why not do this for innocent people we do it for celebrities? I bet if one of the members of the committee family was involved there would be a moment of silence. I really don't see why they will not allow this simple request to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Israel wanted the International Olympic Committee to give a moment of silence to the Munich victims and their families at this summer’s Olympics. I do not agree with the IOC decisions because I believe that giving them a few moments of silence is not going to affect the game in any type of way. I think that the IOC should think about being in the families shoes and how would they feel if they couldn’t get one moment of silence for the one’s they loved .

    ReplyDelete
  15. Israel wants the IOC to have a minute of silence at this years Olympic games to commemorate the killing of Israeli athletes and coaches at the Munich Olympic games. I do not agree with the IOC’s decision to not allow it, they are concerned that it would politicize the games, however as the essay states it is just to remember human tragedy; and raise awareness of terrorism. I think that the minute of silence should be granted, if not in the opening ceremonies then in the closing ceremonies.

    ReplyDelete