Monday, July 16, 2012

Essay #6 due by FRI., JULY 20 at 11:59 PM!


Questions for Discussion
Directions: Make sure you're using school-appropriate language, grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Be lively-- make the conversation interesting!

1. What are the reasons for teen pregnancy at EWHS? Do you think that hopelessness  is one of the reasons? What should Baltimore City do to combat teen pregnancy? 

2. Respond to at least one other comment from one of your classmates. Agree or disagree with them respectfully and explain your rationale.

34 comments:

  1. The reason for teen pregnancy at Edmondson-Westside is negligence to use any type of birth control, people sleeping with everyone, and people thinking that they are in love with every person they call their girlfriend/boyfriend. For some people I think hopelessness is one of the reasons, because they think they won't be anything in life, but for some others it's just another case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time. To combat teen pregnancy Baltimore City should have health screenings, distribution of condoms, tutorials on how to use condoms, have people to speak about why you should wait to have sex, and show the results of having unprotected sex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't agree because some babies are made by mistake and I don't believe that just because someone think they aren't going to be anything in life they have babies. sometimes having a child make a person want to be all they can for that child. Depending on what type of person they are that child could be all the encouragement they have to make them strive for what they really want.

      Delete
    2. Your right but if no one ever loved you that sometimes makes people want to have a baby by any means, but then their are other who just wanted to have fun who put on a condom but something happened and ended up getting pregnant in the process.

      Delete
    3. Granted you are right to a degree but not all the way. Like Rhian said teens think that they are in love with anything that breaths. So they get caught up in the feelings and pregnancy in inevitable. But like you said sometimes it is planned but most times not among teens.

      Delete
    4. I agree that people go around sleeping with everybody thinking they are in love but really blinded by lust

      Delete
  2. The reasons for teen pregnancy at EWHS is teens looking for love in the wrong place, having low self-esteem (for some), being unaware of the results of sex without protection or birth control, and being peer pressured. I do think that hopelessness could be a reason for some teen pregnancies at EWHS, because some may think/ know that they're not going to be anything in life, some may follow in the footsteps of relatives, and friends. Honestly, I think there is nothing that Baltimore City do to stop teen pregnancy, however some things Baltimore City can do is having speaking engagements, sex classes, and facilities for teens to go if the need some guidance on sex, STDs, and things of that nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that some people follow in the footsteps of others in becoming a teen parent. If more classes were available maybe it could help. sex is always talked about in a way that makes you want to engage in it, and no one really takes the time out to talk to you about what you are really getting yourself into. everyone knows you can become pregnant, some just don't believe until it happens.

      Delete
    2. I agree deja because everywhere you go people talk about sex but you cant go.anywhere where people arent engaging in unprotected sex. We just need for one person in the relationship to stand up and be the bigger person and say they wont give in to unprotectef sex or even SEX AT ALL, then maybe the rate of teen pregnancy will decrease.

      Delete
    3. i agree, teens are so insecure they began to look for someone to complete them. Baltimore City has to step up!

      Delete
    4. i agree, teenagers are so insecure that they began to look for someone to complete themselves and end up pregnant. Baltimore City has to step up!

      Delete
    5. I agree with you that students might be following the choices that other people make in their lives

      Delete
  3. The reasons for teen pregnancy at EWHS are, for some people they are peer pressured into having sex at an early age, and not knowing exactly what they are doing. For others they just decide that they want to have children at an early age, sometimes it runs in the family. Also some peopel don't have the correct guidance at home and are allowed to have boys stay the night at their house or they are able to stay at the boys house. I also think that not having money is one way like it says in the article. when teens become a certain age they want to hang out more and some families can't afford for them to do the things they want. Therefore, that leaves those teens on the street doing whatever then they jump into relationships and have these babies at a young age, and sometimes they can't afford abortions. There are some people who are capable of having a successful career and staying focus on school, and not early parenthood. However, they choose not to because they may become distracted by friends who have babies or boys who talk non-sense about how they love them and will be there. I don't think anything could be done to change it. I look at it this way there are people who have came to schools and talked about STDs, Sex, Early parenthood, but no matter what you say to a person if they feel that they want to do something whether it's right or wrong then they will do it. It's no need to tell a person something over and over again if they don't want to take your advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, when you said that they don't have the correct guidance from people at home,

      Delete
  4. I disagree with your statement, because even if the people around you are having children at a early age you as a person should see that being a parent isn't a easy job and you should want better for yourself. I also think that even though people may get annoyed by others talking about preventing teen pregnancy it's always that handful of people who are listening and taking what is said to heart, so that will be one less teen parent in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The reason for teen pregnancy at EWHS is because people are careless as to who they are laying down with. People think that every time they get in a relationship with someone they have to have sex with the person for the person to like them even more, truth is sex is all the boys want and when the girl say they pregnant then the boy dont want to have anything to do with the girl. I think that teens jump into relationships way to fast not taking time to really learn things about the person they want to have sex with. There are females who think that if they have a baby they will get a little bit more money from the baby's father. Some people have babies on purpos to get attention and some females have babies by a mistake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. daisha aisha i feel like you and i had almost the same mind set/frame when it came to this topic, while i was reading your essay i totally agreed with what you said in line 1 through line 3

      Delete
  6. The reasons for teen pregnancy anywhere and at EWHS are, teens don't use protection, hormones, sexual impulse, and just because it is something to do in a relationship.No, I do not think hoelessness is one of the reasons for teen pregnancy.
    How ever I do think carelessness is one or the only reason for teen pregnancy. I don't know what Baltimore City should do, it seems they're doing enough. By encouraging abstinence, making programs, and real life situations like "Teen Mom" to show teenagers what its like. It's not their fault some teenagers interepting it wrong, and not the way it's supposed to be seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i partially agree with you Bria because sometimes you have to take a step in that persons' shoes. You never know what they are going or went through

      Delete
  7. There are many reasons for teen Pregnancy. It could be the feeling of being un-loved, the non use of condoms and birth control, but mainly the lack of guidance. In some cases hopelessness is the problem only some may feel as though there aren’t ever going to make it so they want to have a child to raise it to become something in life. Some people, like me, would look at the situation and say “How would you be able to raise the child you can’t even raise yourself, and if you can teach the child how to make it then why you can’t teach yourself?” That is where non guidance comes in they may not have never thought about that and sometimes you have to think that everyone isn’t you some people don’t have what you have , they don’t have that type of guidance. Baltimore city should open up a program to try to combat teen pregnancy. They should have mentors to try to help and guide the young minds to a better future. When they talk they should not only talk about the effect of the teen but also the effect of the baby. I think this really would help. The main key here is GUIDANCE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Lanesha the main key in this problem is not having a sense of guidance or direction in their life. Where in some cases it shows and reflects in the way the girls act as well as their attitudes which can affect the way they look at life or how to handle life and situations which can lead to teen pregnancy and other down factors.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you Nesha because you can't get anywhere far in life without GUIDANCE .

      Delete
  8. The reason they're is teen pregnancy at Edmondson is because some girls at the school are looking for love in all the wrong places as well as some of the girls are fast as well sometimes the problem can be coming from home where the daughters could be just practicing what they see home where the children mothers could be setting a bad example for their children and the children are only doing what they see, where as the old saying states the apple does not fall far from the tree. Also some of the girls just want to be loved and may not feel loved or know how to love but just knowing the lust that leads to teenage pregnancy where until this point they feel hopeless trying to fill a emptiness inside of them last some times the problem can be psychological problem or cycle that's continuous. Finally the city really shouldn't be the ones to combat teen pregnancy but home and the Parents needs to take on the issue I try to figure out a solution to the problem or try to figure out what may be going on in their children life and how they can help. If the city wants to combat teen pregnancy the city should maybe offer mentoring groups that can help or talk to these young mothers while being pregnant and offer advice on what to expect while being pregnant and how it will affect there everyday life in a positive way than rather a negative way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Emmanuel, but I disagree when you said the city shouldn't be combating teen pregnancy. They should be because it's also in school where they find bad influence and the bad influence at home also, but the city of Baltimore officals, and electives can partner with BCPSS and they can solve thuis school wise and BCPD can sit the family down with a counsling session or something like that. Just think deeper about the subject"Teen Pregnancy". You know what I know, we were raised simular so we know what's up.

      Delete
  9. The reason there is alot of teen pregnancy at EWHS is because the girls don't have the correct guidance in their lives. If the mother of the girl had her at the age of 17, then what makes the daughter not want to have a baby at age 17. The parents don't even give the daughter the right kind of guidance they need, so the girls feel as though they can flaubt around, be fast, and not act like a lady. When yound men see this weakness in a girl, and believe me they know, they take advantage of that and get them pregnant. Pregnancy is a big responsibilty and a gift from God. Some girls aren't responsible enough or at all to take care of the gift God gave them. I do think hoplelessness is the reason, because who gives them a reason to not have a baby. somone has to inspire them so they can have hope, and high expectations for themselves in life so twhen they reach an age of maturity then they would have gotten an education and have a better life for their child to live, not a 17 year old girl who has no job and dropped out of high school still living with mommy. I think Baltimore City should combat teen pregnancy by banning all the pregnant women and their baby's father from all school events and they should be offered night schoo, so they can provide for the baby by getting a job during the day and in school at night or school during the day and work at night. No remorce should be shown, or any sympathy, why? They were bold enogh to get pregnant so they can be bold and deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The reasons there is teen pregnancy at ewhs is because of poverty, love, and hopelessness. Teens feel that motherhood is there only choice in life instead of being disappointed later on. Teen mother's want attention,positive attention, at lease for a little while. We all know that when somebody, a friend, gets pregnant we are all o er them saying things like: oh I'm going to buy you this that and the other, and I want to be the godparent. I think hopelessness is a key cause in the decision to conceive a child at a young age. If they truly believe that they will not find love and hope in their education will take them far away if they let it they try to find a simple way out. The way they think is that if they grow up have a child then it will get better. Baltimore city should give 15-19 year older more attention. They should give mentoring by women that actually made it. Women that waited until their careers took off, until they were married. So that the young women could see that happiness love and an end to poverty is only a couple of years away if they could only hold out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello everyone first off I would like to say I agree with some to a current degree but other I completely disagree. I am sixteen and I was thirteen when I met someone I was with for three years and one day decided to becom sexually active with yes I was in love not because I was young or needed it but because that is what my heart truely felt. When I was fifteen me and him had PROTECTED SEX and the condom broke and I then became pregnant although I did not have the the child I do understand teen moms. My point for telling you my story is to show you that for people who know me I am not poor and I am not hopeless and I am also very confident in myself. Teen pregnancy not only happens to the hopless and poor it is caused by young girls not being able to talk to there parents and not feeling comfortable to go to someone else that's is a adult most tens go to there homegirls/homeboys and I know this because I was not able to talk to my mom and I wanted that and I think if I had that the situation that happened would never have happened but people this article is very upseting to me because it says most poor african americans and hispanics get pregnant young when I see rich or poor everyy race getting pregnant. These show like teen mom does not show us how not having a baby won't. Be good if people stop ingnoring there children if friends stop encouring the friends I believe that if people would stop and say what have I done to prevent teen pegnancy what have I dne to inflence my friend to not have sex what have I don set the example. I am not going to say this article is wrong or right but I would love for someone to actually be the bigger person and admit that it starts with a few people to make things right. And when I say people I mean the community not these article writers on the outside looking in so please read this and understand that it is always a reason for everything not just what these articles and outsiders looking in think.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's like throughout the school year, you hear about someone new pregnant up at the school. The more common it becomes, the more females began to think it's natural. Welcoming a new life is beautiful, no matter what the matter of time is during birth. Who shall we blame for the outcome of these pregnancy tests? Let's see... no one, but the person who laid down and had the kid. No one can influence you to have a kid, you don't just get talked into these type of positions. Your mind has to be fully made and you have to be mentally ready. This does not regard instances where the condom breaks or if the victims are intoxicated. Our generation is the future, but all we want to do is have fun! Everyone wants to be with their friends and have a good time. Having too much of a good time can be the backfire of a plan that you weren't expecting. Yes, hopelessness is sometimes the case! Females get depressed with their life or lover and in attempt to make them stay, they initiate a pregnancy. Baltimore City needs to incorporate a child care class that's mandatory. Health covers a lot of this discussion but it needs to be contacted deeper. If females/males understand the process and agenda a pregnant woman/man has, maybe they'll think twice about pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree for some but it is not always the female looking for a chance to have a bby it is sometimes the male lookinf for that love from a child of there own and please remember it takes two people to create a child so please do not say the female tries to have a bby to keep a man around because the man is at fault to for having unprotected sex the female doesnt tale the sperm and say hey now your a daddy

      Delete
  13. I think that there may be many reasons for teen pregnancy at EWHS: kids may be may not be using proper protection such as condoms or birth control, they might have a relationship that they feel is strong enough to bring a child into, girls might feel that if they have a baby with a boy it will force the boy to stay with them, or it might just be the result of an accident. Hopelessness may be a reason for teen pregnancy if kids do not feel that they can succeed in life. To combat teen pregnancy Baltimore City could have sex education classes all through middle and high school; they could also have more programs to help kids that are struggling.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the reasons of teen pregnancy at EWHS are not being careful and not being safe. For example a boy might persuade the girl to allow the boy to not use a contraceptive. Also they could have got caught in the moment and not being careful. I dont really think hopelessness is problem but not thinking about how it will effect your life. Baltimore City should have people who had a baby as a teen to share how it effected them. This way teens can reflect on it and think " do they really want that".

    ReplyDelete
  15. The reason there is alot of teen pregnancy at EWHS is because some of the teen females do not respect there self enough to tell a male to wait. Hopelessness can be a cause because some females might just want to have a baby just so they can say I accomplished something in life not knowing that having a baby at a young age is a big step in life. Baltimore City should set up like a meet and greet with older women that had there child or children at a young age to come and talk to them about how there life changed once they had there child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to diagree with you. Its not that the girls have no respect for themselves. It's becuase boys can be very presausive at times when they really want something. Their intention may have been good but the outcome was bad. Now he feel like it may not be his because if he got in her pants anyone else can. Males have a big part in why girls get pregnant and want to keep the baby as well.

      Delete
  16. The main reason why the pregnancy rate at EWHS is so high. Every one wants to fit in with each other, if they see one of their friends happy while pregnant they might want the same experience that they have. When they get into a reationship they may see themselves with that one person for awhile. So they have sex thinking they ready, but really not and the pregnancy just happens unplanned. I think hopelessness have alot to do with it. Some of the boys just seeing their selves on the corner being a "Dope Boy" because they trying to fit in. Some girls may have seen themselves making it, but made a wrong chose and got pregnant. Baltimore City should do to combat teen pregnancy. Make the health class get more deeper into what it's like to be pregnant and having a babies. They just state the basic thing. They need to get more involed with the students health classes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everyone needs to stop saying females females it takes two to have sex and create a child. If anything a man is has more control over the female because he provides the sperm with the baby inside so he has to make a choice if his decision is what he is ready for females just have to speak up and say no we need to use protection but that is not always the case and everyone needs to stop one siding the situation and see both partners play a role and have choice exspecially the male

    ReplyDelete